The Gerald J. Glasser Brain Tumor Center and Altair Health’s collaborative program puts each patient and his or her family at the center of all treatment-related decisions.
Caring for patients with malignant brain or spinal cord tumors is a complex task that requires input from many specialists. That’s why we developed an interdisciplinary team of experts in brain tumor surgery, radiation oncology, neuro-oncology, neuro-radiology, neurology, neuro-pathology, nutrition, physiatry and social work who provide the most effective and safest treatment for the most challenging types of tumors.
We bring each patient’s case before our multi-disciplinary neuro-oncology tumor board where all medical specialties collaborate to make the best diagnosis and design the most effective individualized treatment plan.
With expert training and state-of-the-art technology, our surgeons are able to safely operate on the most challenging brain tumors using cutting-edge technology and techniques including:
- Minimally invasive and Keyhole Craniotomy
- Tubular trans-sulcal approaches to deep seated brain tumors
- CyberKnife Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- 3D-Computer-assisted image guided stereotaxis (neuronavigation)
- Endoscopic technology as an adjunct to skull base and brain tumor surgery
- Awake surgery for intraoperative functional brain mapping
- Motor and Sensory electrophysiological mapping during surgery
- Electrode implantation and monitoring for Intracranial EEG and seizure focus detection
- Functional MRI, Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) and magnetoencephalography (MEG) imaging techniques
Gerald J. Glasser’s brain tumor specialists are active participants in national clinical trials and have been actively involved in and collaborated to deliver innovative treatments such as:
- Optune TTF therapy for recurrent glioblastoma
- CyberKnife Fractionated stereotactic radiosurgery for recurrent glioma
- Brain tumor vaccine and immunotherapy clinical trials
- Endoscopic surgery for resection of deep-seated brain tumors
- Pre-operative neo-adjuvant CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery for brain metastases
- Next-generation molecular sequencing- in collaboration with Mayo clinical labs our neuropathologists evaluate brain tumors for somatic mutations and rearrangements as part of a dedicated Neuro-Oncology panel.